Be a proactive textbook author: 9 strategies for success
Christopherson, who retired from teaching and now writes exclusively, shares nine strategies that have helped him become a proactive author:
- Develop a style guide and make it specific to your textbook (basic rules, spelling and grammar)
- Prepare a figure and permission tracking log. Design it according to how your book is set up. Christopherson’s is 95 pages long.
- Be involved with your book’s design and color palette
- Use website links for recent news flashes
- Use a large computer monitor — perhaps even a flat screen
- Let your editor and publisher know that you’re on the cutting edge
- Buy a laptop for communication while traveling
- Have text-specific business cards printed
- Have a writing studio. This is critical for avoiding interruptions.