Tutorial – Twitter 101: Learn how to create an account, customize your profile, and start tweeting
Wondering how to get started on Twitter but not sure where to start? Follow these simple instructions to set up an account, customize it, and get tweeting!
How to sign up
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the ‘New to Twitter?’ sign up box.
- Enter your full name, email address, and a password.
- Click ‘Sign up for Twitter’.
- On the next page (see below), you will create your username or choose one suggested by Twitter.
- Click ‘Create my account.’
- You’re almost done! Twitter will send a confirmation email to the address you entered during sign up. The email will contain a link; click that link in order to confirm your account.
How-to customize your Twitter profile
Adding a profile and header photo
- Go to your Profile settings.
- Click the ‘Change photo’ button to change your profile photo. (This photo is your identity on Twitter and appears with your Tweets.) You’ll be given the option to upload a photo or take a photo with your webcam. (You may be prompted to allow Twitter access to use your webcam. To do so, click ‘Allow’.)
- To change your header photo, click the ‘Change header’ button.
- You can position and size the photo(s). Once satisfied with how they appear click ‘Apply’.
- A prompt will let you know that your photo(s) have been successfully published to your profile.
Note: Photos can be in any of the following formats: JPG, GIF, or PNG. (Twitter does not support animated GIFs.) Recommended dimensions for profile photos are 400×400 pixels. Recommended dimensions for header photos are 1500×500 pixels.
Updating your name, location, website, and bio
Information you provide here appears on your public profile, search results, and beyond.
- On your Profile settings page (where you just got done uploading a profile picture and header photo), you’ll see options to edit your name, location, website, and bio.
- Make the desired changes to your information.
- Click ‘Save changes’. Once you change your theme you’ll be ready to start tweeting!
Changing your Twitter theme
Your theme is how Twitter will look for others when they view your profile and how your profile looks to you.
- Choose the ‘Design’ option from the left menu.
- Choose a premade theme or create a custom theme.
- With a custom theme you can choose a background image, a background color, and a theme color. Play around with these options to see what looks best. Some people even promote their book by include the cover photo as their background image.
Composing your first Tweet
- Click the ‘compose new Tweet’ button in the top navigation bar.
- Make sure your update is no more than 140 characters. Twitter will count the characters for you. (See the red 3 in the image below? That is the character count and is warning that only 3 characters remain.)
- Click the ‘Tweet’ button to post the tweet to your profile.
- Your Tweet will immediately be seen on your timeline and timelines of those who are following you.